West Oak Capital is an investment advisory firm located in beautiful, suburban Westlake Village, California. We provide wealthy families, corporate retirement plans and charitable foundation clients with individually managed accounts tailored to each client’s objectives and preferences. The goal of our firm is to build strong, long-term client relationships. We are looking for a humble, caring, responsible individual who appreciates the opportunity to do meaningful work that is extremely important to the people we serve. We offer a clear, realizable career path based on measurable objectives, along with excellent compensation, training and educational opportunities. Our professionals enjoy a casual work environment, with flexible scheduling to maintain a healthy work/life balance and the satisfaction of contributing directly to our firm’s growth.
About West Oak Capital
It has been more than a decade since West Oak Capital first opened its doors, and the company has been listed among the most prominent wealth management firms in our region in such publications as the Pacific Coast Business Times and San Fernando Valley Business Journal. West Oak Capital is a small, collaborative team of investment, operations and administrative professionals dedicated to helping our clients stay on course in financial markets that are often turbulent and unpredictable.
Westlake Village is located in the northern foothills of the Santa Monica mountains, with great access to outdoor family activities. We are surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery, top-rated schools, a variety of churches and places of worship, golf courses and wonderful shopping centers. Our offices are located in an upscale business complex directly adjacent to popular restaurants and shops.
Our Financial Advisor should succeed at building an investment management clientele with at least $50 million in assets-under-management within five years by focusing on our core clients, potential future clients and centers of influence.
Our core clientele consists primarily of people who are retired or nearing retirement who have investable assets typically in the $2 to $10 million range. Through those family relationships, we also connect to corporate retirement plans and charitable foundations that need our services. Secondarily, we want to find people who have the potential to become investment management clients in the near future. We provide coaching on financial topics that will help people accumulate wealth during their professional careers to best position them for retirement. We also advise people who, through life-events such as divorce or inheritance, are likely to have significant wealth and need to learn how to manage and preserve it for their families. Clients often need help with company retirement plans, stock options, insurance policy evaluation, referrals to accountants and attorneys, establishing or updating an estate plan, estimating retirement needs and taking care of aging parents.
Our Financial Advisor will work with centers of influence by developing referral business relationships with at least five accountants and five estate planning attorneys. The best relationships are two-way, so we need to get to know the accountants and attorneys well enough that we are comfortable referring them to our clients.
We are looking for someone with a bachelors degree and relevant business experience. Additional finance credentials are preferred (such as MBA, CFA, CFP or CPA). Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. The role favors someone with a coaching demeanor who can identify opportunities where our services are needed and build lasting client relationships. Office location is Westlake Village, although must be willing to drive to see clients in general Southern California geography. The work requires extraordinary attention to details and the ability to set priorities while working effectively in a small group environment.
Role and Responsibilities
Our Financial Advisor can expect to focus on the following areas:
- Identify and meet with potential clients and centers of influence to discuss their needs for our investment services.
- Develop a thorough understanding of each client’s financial situation, goals and preferences in order to develop a mutually agreed-upon investment plan.
- Analyze and evaluate portfolios.
- Evaluate changing economic conditions and conduct investment research to identify equity and fixed income securities that are appropriate for client portfolios.
- Manage client portfolios on an ongoing basis, and provide regular updates to clients on the progress of their investment program.
- Maintain strict adherence to all regulatory and compliance rules and obligations, while abiding by our fiduciary duty to put our clients’ best interests first and foremost in all activities.
There are numerous industry conferences, events and seminars throughout the year, and our Financial Advisor will want to attend some of them. We encourage ongoing education and training in all areas that will help us develop professionally and provide the best possible service to our clients. We also encourage participation in events, activities and charitable organizations that support our local community.
About the Rewards
- Earn an excellent base salary, with potential for bonuses and future growth in compensation that is commensurate with your progress toward the firm’s objectives for the position.
- Company 401(k) retirement plan with three-percent employer contribution provided.
- Group medical plan coverage is available.
- A collegial work environment where your contributions matter, while doing work that is important for the clients we serve.
- Comfortable casual business attire and a “lifestyle practice” that affords flexibility to participate in family activities and take care of personal commitments.
Does this sound like you? If so, please contact Darin White at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in West Oak Capital.